All VISION DEVICE artificial vision systems are realized with the skilful use of a series of electro-optical and mechanical devices to generally carry out the following phases:
- Information generation: through the use of automatic electromechanical systems for handling workpieces, appropriate lighting, appropriate use of optical devices and anything else necessary to physically characterize, in a visual way, what is of interest to the control in question.
- Image acquisition: to transfer the graphic information highlighted on the object in a series of digitized points (up to many millions) that represent the brightness in the various areas of the object and the background.
- Image processing: for the extraction of characteristics interesting the control, through phases of image enhancement and quantitative evaluation of the characteristics themselves.
- Automatic interpretation of the results: through a series of selection criteria and control criteria (or tolerance thresholds), up to a unique result; it is precisely this phase of interpretation and automatic decision that characterizes Machine Vision, unlike the classic image processing (e.g. that used in medical or research applications) in which the decision is always delegated to the human expert in front of the monitor.
- Action as a consequence of the result: such as the rejection or declassification of the piece examined, or the guidance of a robot connected to the vision system.
Machine Vision: solutions that generate benefits for companies
The advantages that a company can derive from the VISION DEVICE machine vision systems are many, and in particular:
- High control rate: possibility to work simultaneously at high production speeds and high control resolution, with immediate results.
- Control flexibility: definition of number, type and characteristics of the inspections to be carried out, definition of work tolerances and consequent actions.
- Complete documentation of product quality: through the prompt presentation of results and statistics, and their printings and storage to the operators.
- Visualization of images in real time during the inspection: for greater information to operators on the functioning of the inspection and production itself.
The 3 main functions of the VISION DEVICE Machine Vision Systems:
- Production tuning, as a powerful preliminary diagnosis tool that allows the objective measurement of the characteristics and improvements set-up.
- 100% product inspection during normal production, with the elimination of the defective product and documentation of the product quality.
- Optimal operation of the system, because of prompt reporting of abnormal operating conditions, leading to an immediate intervention and therefore a reduction in waste and machine downtime.